Tuesday, April 12, 2011

A new idea

Tomorrow, I will attempt creating a logging cake for my dad's birthday. I will post the pictures when I am finished... If it turns out.

I will take a basic 9x13 cake, two layer with a filling, and cover it with butter cream. Then, I will create a woodland theme all around. I will add a large tree that has been felled (chopped down) complete with wood shavings and broken branches. I will also include a small pile of cut logs.

I am going to attempt shaping the basic tree trunk out of Rice Krispies Treats (store bought for pliability) and cover it with homemade chocolate fondant. I am using a basic marshmallow fondant which cracks and tears easily, but has a superior flavor to store bought. I won't use it to cover a cake, but I can use it for creating decorations that don't require extreme smoothness, such as a tree and some logs.

I am very excited about this cake and will really hate to cut into it. I will be finished with it by Saturday afternoon and will post pictures after the party.

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment