Sunday, March 11, 2012

A Pirate's Life for Me!

The Pirate Ship Cake is my new favorite. This was the largest cake I successfully covered in fondant using one sheet of fondant. Most of the time, with a cake like this, I have to piece it all together, but this one was done in a single sheet. 

It turned out super adorable. I made everything by hand except the mast and sail. The colors were chosen based on the kids' cartoon Jake and the Neverland Pirates

The most challenging part was the crow's nest. I was afraid it wouldn't stay up there, so I glued a couple sticks to the mast and it is sitting on top of those sticks. 

The wheel was a challenge because it was top heavy. I had to use a toothpick and a dowel to hold it upright. 
I also got to use my airbrush machine. I colored the entire ship in about 4 minutes. 

The only thing I will do differently next time I make a pirate ship is to put board lines in the fondant before coloring it. It looks pretty cool as is, but I think it would look really cool if I added board lines. :)









No comments:

Post a Comment