Sunday, September 4, 2011

Boop Boop E Doo

I've always been a fan of Betty Boop. She's so cute with her giant head, big green eyes, and love of everything red. So, when a friend asked me to make a Betty Boop cake for his mom's birthday... I smelled a challenge.

I started looking online at Betty Boop images. I found several that I just loved. I picked four, and had my mom help me pick the best one, which is the classic Marilyn Monroe pose with the skirt blowing up. It was also the one with the most detail.

The cake chosen was a 9x13" rectangle. Two layers, yellow cake with strawberry filling, and buttercream frosting.

Now, I'm not very good at drawing anything, let alone drawing something as detailed and exact as Betty Boop. My creativity comes in the form of colors, layout, design. So, I decided to "draw" Betty with Color Flow.

The color flow technique has been around a long time. I have some Wilton year books from the 70s that show the technique. It's pretty simple. Outline the design, then fill it in. Or so I thought. Getting the outline the right consistency is paramount in the decoration. Otherwise, I spend the whole time trying to clean my little #2 tip. So, I had to slowly thin it until it was thin enough to write with. I outlined Betty, and by the time I was finished, my arms felt like rubber. Still a little thick. Although, I only broke one parchment bag this time.

I had to wait a couple hours before I could fill in the outlining, and I figured one thing out: The facial features need to be added after the skin tone was filled in because it was very difficult to get the skin tone to flow into the tiny spaces between her eyelashes. Toothpicks came in handy for this design.

The most important thing to remember: Allow the color flow design to dry 100% before you try to remove it from the waxed paper. I didn't allow it to dry once before, and the design broke. Two days minimum to dry, longer if the design is large or the color flow is thick.


The result of the Betty Boop cake was marvelous. I love it and can't wait to do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment