Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Wedding Plans Go Well

Well, so far the wedding cake is working out. Of course, I haven't yet made the cake. The calla lillies turned out gorgeous. They're very realistic. Hot pink is a hard color to manage, though. The color fades very quickly in very little light. So, I have to "paint" them with color dust. That helped a lot, and now they aren't fading.

I have decided to make it a six tier cake. Starting with a 16" bottom square tier, then decreasing by 2" until I hit 6". Unfortunately, two less tiers will only serve about 130, and she expects 200. Which means, I have to make a larger cake, but it has to start with square, because it won't look right starting with a round cake.

That's fine though. Now, I get to try something new and challenging: stacking tiers. My previous wedding cakes were sitting on a tiered display, so I didn't have to stack them. I have to support the tiers very well, because the bottom tier will be supporting 5 very heavy cakes. It will be a challenge, and the main assembly will have to happen at the park, which means I will have fun.

The cake is white fondant with black ribbon around the bottom to finish the bottom of each tier. In the square tiers, I am going to put a criss-cross pattern with gemstones at each intersection to bring the gemstone part of her theme into the cake. Then, I will put a few calla lillies around the cake, and she is going to top the cake with chocolate covered strawberries. Should be quite lovely.

I am also making 200 cake pops. I made 69 two days ago, and threw them in the fridge. They are plain right now, but I am making a bride and groom cake pop. The bride is covered in a sugared "dress" with a pearl necklace around her "neck". The groom is wearing a chocolate tux, with a little bow tie. The bride was simple, I made a trial one. Goofed it a little, so it didn't get saved. But, it turned out well, and I look forward to the challenge of creating these little cake pops over the next few days.

The overall wedding cake is a challenge, mostly because of the size. It should be quite interesting putting fondant on a 16" square cake. Considering, I've never put fondant on a square cake at all, and I've never put fondant on a cake that large. The largest was 14". My mother will help me with this one because I know I won't be able to lift the fondant for a cake that size on my own. Extremely heavy.

Should be interesting; I'll post pictures as soon as it is finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment