Thursday, May 26, 2011

Successes

Today has been a day of successes. First, I was able to successfully create black fondant. It is very black and it took a really long time. About half an hour of kneading to mix it all in. My hands are a lovely shade of red, and my fingernails are black.

I then created ivory in a very large quantity. It's a little darker than I wanted, but I do believe it will be fine.

I was also able to flip the "iffy" 14" cake onto the other 14" cake. That was a feat, but the cake went on almost exactly where it needed to be. It is lovely, level, and finished.

My next task today is to crumb coat both the 6" cake, which is finally completed, and the 14" cake. Then I will cover all three tiers in fondant.

Finally, if time allows, I will cut out the Fleur de lis from the black fondant. My wonderful boyfriend gave me an excellent idea. I used to scrapbook and although I still love it, I don't really have enough time anymore. Or room. So, I gave up everything, with a few remaining pieces. I bought some of those projector sheets to make see through cards and what not. He said I needed a template, and I realized I could cut one out of those sheets and I could then cut the Fleur de lis out with them instead of relying on paper that will move, bend, and curl.

I knew he was a smart one. I'll have to keep him.

Pictures will be posted soon of my first ever wedding cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment