Saturday, May 21, 2011

Wedding Cake Failures, continued

I am very glad that I decided to try a cake before actually working on the wedding cake.
Mistake #2 - The custard is extremely yellow. I used farm fresh eggs, and they are very thick and rich, and orange. Going back to store bought white for the real cake.

Mistake #3 - The buttercream frosting was a double fail. I added too much milk to thin it down, so it's more runny than spreadable. I also added too much brown food color gel to get the lovely ivory color I need.

Mistake #4 - I attempted to crumb coat the cake as soon as I assembled it. The custard is gooey and the top layer moves as I frost. The cake is now in the refrigerator in an attempt to firm up the custard.

So, I am now waiting for the custard to firm up so I can crumb coat then chill. At the current rate, I may need to finish the cake tomorrow.

I did learn one major thing... Definitely prepare all of my cakes well ahead of time, and chill them completely.

I also learned that white cake, when made properly is dense and extremely tasty. Oh, yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment