Monday, May 23, 2011

Yet again

I have now made another 6" cake and it also was not up to par.

The cakes I made last night were too thin, but when cut, they were much less dense than the first cake and tasted better. Unfortunately, they were still too dense and they didn't fully raise in the middle, which means I cannot use them because they are too short, and I want only 2 layers per tier not 4.

Tonight, I chose to bake my small cakes in my small convection toaster oven. What a difference! The cake raised nicely, and the top was domed instead of sunken. I am currently baking the first 10" in my main oven, but I think I will bake the 6" cakes in the convection. The 10" is raised nicely, almost level. I am baking it at 300° and it is baking very slowly, but very evenly. It should be nearly done, although the top is not yet browned.

Unfortunately, this 6" cake is too thin. I cannot use it because it is less than 2" deep and I need it to be at least 3" so I can level it and make a 4" layer. Back to the grindstone. Thankfully, I can make cake pops from the screw ups... Before I found that ingenious idea, I would have just tossed the cakes and called them wasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment